No one likes an acne breakout. Sore, red, embarrassing blemishes impact your daily life, and you need help. At Atlas Dermatology in Baton Rouge and Prairieville, LA, Dr. W. Trent Massengale helps scores of individuals manage their persistent acne. Get to the bottom of this frustrating skin condition.
What causes acne?
Overactive sebaceous glands secrete too much oil on the skin, blocking pores with dead skin cells. Characteristic, whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, and cysts form. While acne plagues teens more than anyone else, adults can suffer from it, too, says MedicalNewsToday.
Though not really mysterious in nature, acne varies from person to person. Some people suffer outbreaks with the hormonal surges of menopause and puberty. Others see more pimples when they are stressed or overdo greasy, high-calorie menu choices.
Some cosmetics irritate the skin so much that acne lesions form. Plus, excessive sweating, poor skin hygiene, and tight clothing contribute to persistent outbreaks.
What you can do about your acne
Your dermatologist at Atlas Dermatology in Baton Rouge and Prairieville, LA, can help you reduce the number and severity of your outbreaks. Come to our office for a skin exam with Dr. Massengale. He'll start you on a care plan suited to your skin.
Treatment options can include:
- Over the counter gels, pads, and lotions which contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide
- A daily skin routine to include gentle washing twice a day (no scrubbing or rough washcloths)
- A topical or oral antibiotic if your acne is becoming infected (erythromycin as an example)
- Birth control pills for female patients
- Tretinoin, a topical retinoid, to open blocked pores
- In-office excision of nodules
- Not squeezing acne lesions as this causes irritation and infection
- Keeping your hands off your face as much as possible
- Washing your hair frequently
- Relaxing to reduce levels of stress hormones, such as cortisol
- Drink plenty of water every day
- Limit how much make-up you use
Clearer skin is more than a dream
Make it a reality with the help of the professional team at Atlas Dermatology. Call us for an acne consultation at (225) 313-4560.