Do you suffer from psoriasis? If you have a skin rash that you suspect is psoriasis in Baton Rouge, and Prairieville, LA, reach out to Dr. Trent Massengale of Atlas Dermatology. We offer treatment for a large variety of skin issues, including psoriasis.
What Is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes a rash with itchy, scaly patches. It is a common, chronic disease with no cure. The condition tends to go through cycles with flaring for a few weeks or months, then subsiding for a while. It commonly affects the knee, elbows, trunk, or scalp. Common triggers in people with a genetic predisposition to psoriasis include infections, cuts, burns, and certain medications.
How to Know If You Have Psoriasis?
Visit your doctor if you are experiencing the following psoriasis symptoms:
- Red patches of skin Scaly patches of skin
- Dry skin
- Itching, burning, or soreness
- Thick, pitted, or ridged nails
- Swollen and stiff joints
Treating Psoriasis in Baton Rouge, and Prairieville, LA
Your dermatologist can help you manage psoriasis flare-ups with several treatment options to minimize the symptoms and provide relief. Treatment begins by performing an exam to determine the severity and frequency of symptoms. Then a personalized treatment plan is created to get you the best possible care.
To manage your symptoms, your dermatologist might suggest the following remedies:
- Stress management to prevent flare-ups
- Topical treatments including over the counter and prescription-strength ointments
- Oral medications to slow the growth of skin cells
- Prescription injections to reduce inflammation or affect the immune system
- Light therapy and phototherapy to slow the growth of skin cells
You may benefit from a combination of treatments.
To learn more about psoriasis in Baton Rouge, and Prairieville, LA, book an appointment at Atlas Dermatology. Contact Dr. Massengale by calling one of our two locations at (225) 313-4560 or (844) 313-4560 today.